Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Snow day
It snowed yesterday and got cold enough to stick. Seattle is completely closed down. I once heard that the city only has four snowplows and a few more sanding trucks. That's probably an exaggeration, but not by much. The state takes care of the highways, so interstate commerce continues without a hitch as long as they don't have to enter the city. As an expat Alaskan, I sneer at my wimpy neighbors, but this really is a nasty place in the snow. Seattle is a very hilly town. Even if the city had enough snow-removal equipment and everyone was an experienced snow driver, you wouldn't want to go out in the snow if you could avoid it.

Meanwhile, many of the people who couldn't possibly make their commute can make the fifty mile drive to the ski slopes. I'm at work. My dedication to my employer knows no bounds. At least, that's what I hope everyone thinks. I'm only staying for about three hours to take care of a few tasks that absolutely had to be completed today.

How's the weather where you live?

No comments: