Monday, October 03, 2005

Harriet Miers
Like everyone else, I'm scrambling to find out more about Bush's nominee to the Supreme Court. At the moment, I'm afraid I know more about Harriet Hilliard than I do about Harriet Miers. Still, this little bit by Bush speechwriter David Frum is interesting.
She rose to her present position by her absolute devotion to George Bush. I mentioned last week that she told me that the president was the most brilliant man she had ever met. To flatter on such a scale a person must either be an unscrupulous dissembler, which Miers most certainly is not, or a natural follower. And natural followers do not belong on the Supreme Court of the United States.

That was on Frum's blog for less than an hour this morning before he removed it (don't you just love Google caching?). I suppose it is fun to see the wingnuts howling and gnashing because she isn't wingnutty enough, but a lack of independent thought is worrisome. Who will she bond to?

No comments: